crazyQstitcher

A place to share with others - my love of needlework and Crazy Quilting which my daughter introduced me into some time ago.

Thursday, November 02, 2006

Kookaburra in the garden

Because of the drought here, the animals are coming closer to the house.
This lovely bird was perched on the fence about 10ft from the front door. We hear them laughing often, but rarely do they come close. I grabbed the camera and in my haste to get a picture, before he flew away, was trembling and jolly near lopped off the top of his head.

I didn't need to hurry at all as he sat and posed for ages.
I am not sure if the brown blobs in the grass show up for you, but they are the kangaroos little bits of fertilizer LOL. The lawns are heavily strewn with these.

The kookaburra is about 12" from head to tail tip and about 10" around the middle.
I think he may be young as his head feathers are fluffy, not smooth as the older birds look.

I was given this site http://www.ausinternet.com/ettamogah/kookaburrasong.htm
should you like to hear a kookaburra laugh.

3 Comments:

Blogger abeautifulcraft said...

How does that song go? Kookuburra sitting in the old gum tree, merry king of the bush is he, laugh kookuburra laugh ... blarrhh blarrhh blarrhh .... I can't sing to save myself, nor remember words to the old song! LOL
We had a little rain today, not much, but enough to wet the roads. The lizzards were out in the glory, including a huge goanna, licking the wet road. I've never seen anything like that in my life, was so weird!

8:55 pm  
Blogger Gerry said...

I have never even heard of this bird before. It's quite lovely. The closest bird I've seen is maybe a variety of wood-pecker. How big is it?

1:41 am  
Blogger Julia said...

Nature is wonderful..
He is a lovely looking bird.

10:47 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Next Take a Stitch Tuesday Challenge

Join | List | Previous |