crazyQstitcher

A place to share with others - my love of needlework and Crazy Quilting which my daughter introduced me into some time ago.

Thursday, November 02, 2006

Another Garden Surprise

About 20 years ago my DH planted apple seeds in the garden. It was only a holiday home then and since living full time here he has spent these years tending this tree.
Last year we had about 4 lots of blossom on one side of the tree. First blossom ever.

This year we have many more blossoms and wonder of wonders, we now have 13 tiny apples.

I just had to record this fruit for posterity. I think we are going to wear the apples out, by looking daily at them. We think they are most likely to be Granny Smith apples, even though they have some red on them at the moment.

4 Comments:

Blogger abeautifulcraft said...

Maureen, hang some tin foil pie tins in the tree, otherwise you'll loose those precious apples to the birds. Do apple tree's need a male and a female to pollenate like a cherry tree?

8:51 pm  
Blogger Nina In Norway said...

I know the feeling!
We had 2 apples last year, and they were stolen by somebody. This year there were 4 apples.
And we have tasted them. We picked two of them and sheared them in the family. They were GOOD! The last two are still on the tree. They are too precious.
And for the first time we had 12 plums on one of our plum trees. We got 3 plums each. Yeah!
4 fruit trees in the garden made 4 apples and 12 plums. It is worth waiting. I’m looking forward to next year.

9:23 pm  
Blogger Julia said...

Maureen,
I didn't think grown from a seed, they would fruit..did you have to graft any from another tree to it?
Enjoy the fruit..

10:50 am  
Blogger crazyQstitcher said...

I think that either, they don't need a pollinator OR there is another tree close by, Sandie.

Julia I believe that fruit trees -like apples- grown from a pip, take up to 20 years to bear. No graft on this one.

6:49 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Next Take a Stitch Tuesday Challenge

Join | List | Previous |